Handcrafters do not only make crafts for their personal use; it could be a gift, souvenir, for business or for involving children in arts and designs. Engaging in handicrafts could unleash a person’s creativity. For children, engaging them in craft making could help them develop their talent. Handcrafters could also make a business out of craft making.
Here are some creative ideas where handcrafters could engage children during their spare time. Parents could even introduce it to their kids, avoiding too much time in front of the computer or television.
• Picture frames. One of the most interesting and easiest things for children. Provide a wooden photo frame, paint, numeric and alphabet stickers, and other materials which can be used for designing the boarder. Instead of wooden frames, you could use craft sticks and boards. Let them decorate the frame and display it with their photograph in their bedroom.
• Necklaces and bracelets. Girls love making accessories. Introduce them in making their own accessories and jewelries. There are accessory making sets which kids can use. If sets are not that appealing for you and the little girl, then you could buy beads, elastic strings, clasps, and a needle. They could make their own designs and use colors that they like.
• Headbands. Another girl’s favourite. You could get a plain headband, beads, ribbons, buttons, and other stones which could be used to decorate the band. Use some glue to stick and design the headband.
• Signs. It could be a nameplate for their bikes, or a “No Disturb” or any other signs on their bedroom doors. For both activities, you just need a wooden board or cardboard shaped in any size they like, paint, and some creativity.
• Toys. Children love playing with toys. Imagine their pride if they were playing with something they made. There are different toys which could be made out of boxes, cardboard, colourful papers, glue, and a pair of scissors, like a toy robot, cars, etc.
Children are not the only ones who could get interested in craft making. As mentioned, there are some handcrafters who were able to establish a business out of a simple hobby. For adults, here are some suggestions for your handcraft sessions.
• Centerpieces: Table centerpieces can be arranged according to theme, like the season or special occasion. It does not have to be ornate; you can play with the common colors and elements seen during the season.
• Kitchen needs Quilts are not the only things that can be sewn. You could start by sewing potholders from scrap fabrics. You can design your own aprons. An example would be a successful businesswoman who started making her own aprons and designing them with different outfits for different jobs. One apron, for instance, would have a design resembling a coat and a tie suitable for office wear. What started to be a family apron became a successful business.
• Green craft making. Not only are you unleashing your creativity, you are also helping the environment. There are different recyclable items which can be used to make paper bags, greeting cards out of recycled paper, and other decorative and functional items.
It’s normal for handcrafters to run out of craft ideas, once in a while. All you need is a new perspective, maybe a walk could energize the creative juices. Making handicrafts will not only develop yourself, but could also build better relationships with your children, spouse, family and friends.